I have received a Liebster Award from Kathryn at My Life as a Reserve Army Wife. I also previously received this award from Liz at Liz's Diary (formally The Optimistic Army Wife) last month. The Liebster Award is given to up and coming bloggers who have less than 200 followers.
I've been in a bit of a funk for much of the last month (more to come on that in a future post), which has put me in a place of not feeling like blogging as much so I'm not bringing everyone else down with me, but I have decided it is finally time to participate and thank the girls who have nominated me! I will be participating by sharing 11 things about myself and answering the 11 questions given to me by both of my nominators to show my appreciation for their nominations. Hopefully I should be getting back into regular blogging shortly!
11 Things About Me:
1. While I'm right handed, I throw with my left hand.
2. I learned to play the violin in sixth grade and was in orchestra for four years. Pachelbel's Canon in D was my favorite piece to play.
3. I worked in a library for over three years, and for a while I pretty much had the entire Dewey Decimal system memorized (I still remember some of it).
4. I really do not like coconut. I also don't like most peppers (I'll only eat red peppers, in moderation, and when diced & combined with cheese) or anything with a lot of spice/heat to it.
5. Super Mario Bros. is my favorite video game of all time, and I just love that Nintendo stayed true to classic Mario when they released the New Super Mario Bros. game for the Wii and combined the best elements of Super Mario 1-3 and Super Mario World.
6. For much of my life while growing up, I wanted to be a teacher. I was definitely the teacher's pet kind of kid and loved helping my teachers out in the classroom, hoping to be them one day. It's something I still think about.
7. While in high school I entertained the thought of being an interior designer after taking several art classes, but then decided it would be "smartest" to major in business in college.
8. The yellow sauce (or white or orange sauce, depending on where you go) they serve at Japanese hibachi restaurants is probably my favorite condiment.
9. I am so terrified of snakes that the sight or intense thought of them will make me hyperventilate. This fear includes just seeing them on TV (I have to cover my eyes).
10. While in college, I had a management position where I was ultimately responsible for the supervision of around 70 of my peers (one of whom was my husband).
11. Part of me would really love to open a bakery.
Answers to Kathryn's Questions:
1. What made you decide to start a blog?
I started this blog when my husband left for basic training last year as a way to document the journey and changes in our lives, as well as to become connected to the military community while not yet living in the middle of it. It's now a place to pretty much talk about anything and everything I might be going through, thinking, feeling, or doing and share little bits of my life.
2. What have you learned from blogging?
I think that blogging (combined with having a husband who's been MIA from the house for quite some time) has helped me to spend more time thinking about me and what I want. Even if I don't have many answers yet, blogging has allowed me to have the much needed time to focus on myself that I've been missing.
3. If you could travel anywhere (don't worry about money), where would you go and why?
Either Italy for all of the history, food, and wine, or to Australia & New Zealand for the amazing sites.
4. What is your favorite animal?
Other than my two corgis, my favorite animal is a monkey. For some strange reason, my husband always shoots me down when I ask if we can get a monkey for a pet. I have no idea why... ;)
5. If you could have your dream job, what would it be?
This is something I have really been struggling with lately, but if career mobility wasn't an issue I would most love to work in marketing research, likely as an analyst. I'm very curious and like to learn about others and really enjoy the consumer behavior & research side of marketing & advertising. Owning my own bakery would also be a lot of fun!
6. If your iPod/radio was turned on right now, what type of music would be playing?
The current playlist I was last listening to on my phone has lots of pop, pop-country, pop-rock, and alternative music on it.
7. What's your favorite movie?
Probably Finding Nemo, but I also love Love Actually and the Harry Potter films (Prisoner of Azkaban is probably my fav of the HP movies).
8. Where did you attend college? If you haven't gone yet, where would you like to go?
I graduated from the University of Georgia with a BBA in Marketing and an ABJ in Advertising. I hope to attend graduate school somewhere, if I can ever nail down what exactly I'd like to do that would actually move around with us.
9. If you could live anywhere in the U.S., where would it be and why?
I don't have an exact location, but my dream place would be in a suburban setting with low-to-moderate humidity, moderate temps with lows in the 50's and highs in the 70's pretty much year-round, and plenty of places around to eat and shop. If anyone knows of a location that meets this criteria, can you please ask the Army to move us there permanently?
10. What annoys you most about milspouse bloggers?
This is more about all bloggers/social media users in general, but misspelled words in postings really bothers me, especially when it's habitual. Spell check is a default feature in browsers now people, so please pay attention when you see that little red squiggly line appear beneath your words!
11. If you could have an entire day to yourself, what would you do with your time?
I've had entirely too many days to myself over the last thirteen months, but a good "me" day includes a Gilmore Girls marathon, with some yummy cheesy pasta and a glass of a good chilled white wine, and my husband around to take care of the dogs for me!
Answers to Liz's Questions:
1. Which animal print is your favorite?
I'm not a huge fan of animal prints, but if I had to choose, I'd go with zebra.
2. What was your high school mascot?
We were the broncos.
3. Are you an iPhone person or an Andriod user?
iPhone all the way! I <3 my Apple products :)
4. What is your favorite song of all time?
It's hard to choose, but I think I'll have to go with "Bubbly" by Colbie Caillat. That song was big when my husband and I first began dating in 2007 and quickly became a favorite as it made me think of him (it's been my ringtone for him on my phone for the past four years or so).
5. What is your favorite song at the current moment?
"I Won't Give Up" by Jason Mraz
6. What is the best part about summer?
I've come to find that summer isn't really as exciting as an adult as it was as a child when summer meant breaks from school.
7. What's one road you never took in life?
Since graduating from college with my first degree, I never really took the "traditional" paths you're "supposed" to take in my life, but I don't regret any of the roads I've taken since that time.
8. What is your favorite fast food restaurant?
Overall it is probably Chick-fil-A, but if I want a burger I prefer McDonald's over other burger places. I also enjoy Quizno's.
9. What was your best childhood toy?
I think the toy I probably most enjoyed playing with (at least that I can remember at this point) was actually something one of my best friends growing up owned, a Skip-It.
10. What is your favorite holiday and why?
Probably Christmas-time. Not necessarily just Christmas Day itself, but that time of year overall. I just love the festivity of it.
11. If you could live anywhere in the world, money not a factor, where would you move to?
It's hard to say for certain given I haven't ever left North America, but I would have to say Italy to drink wine and eat pasta all day long, and be able to explore not only all that there is to see in the entire country, but also have fairly easy access to see all of the beautiful and historic places in Europe I'd love to visit.