Friday, September 30, 2011

Phonetic Alphabet

Every now and then, I get the feeling like my letters to my husband are just kind of dull and boring.  They usually are just recaps of my day, you know the kinds of things I would tell him every evening at home after work.  He says he enjoys them because it provides him with a sense of normalcy, but every now and then I like to change things up a bit.  One thing that I will do is to use the military phonetic alphabet to write sentences here and there in letters, which gives him a little bit of a puzzle to figure out.  They're always trivial little things like tell him how much I miss him.  One of the last ones I wrote was:

India Charlie Alpha November November Oscar Tango Whiskey Alpha India Tango Tango Oscar Sierra Echo Echo Yankee Oscar Uniform!

Translated: I cannot wait to see you!  I was inspired to do this by posts the U.S. Army Future Soldier Family page on Facebook makes every once in a while.  Doing this has since helped me to check off one of my goals on my 101 in 1001 list, to memorize the phonetic alphabet -- I now no longer have to look at my cheat sheet to write out these sentences!  With this whole journey and entrance into this new way of life, I figure if it's something that he has to know, I want to learn it too if I can in order to make this transition easier (and that way I'm not as confused when he uses some term or phrase that isn't common in civilian life).  I even got my husband on board with this apparently as in one of his letters to me this week, he wrote his name out using the alphabet at the end of the letter.

No comments:

Post a Comment