Wednesday, March 21, 2012

AIT Graduation Trip, Part 1

I returned home late Monday night from my 6 day/5 night trip to see my husband for his graduation from AIT and to spend a long weekend together on a mini-vacation of sorts.  I'm not sure how long it will take for me to recover from my trip, but overall I have a feeling I'm going to end up fairly sleep deprived for the most part of this next month and a half or so, until after hubby has made his way overseas and we've figured out a rhythm to the madness, so I might as well get used to it now.

After finding out so late that my husband would be deploying, I was faced with purchasing a last minute plane ticket to fly out and see him in an effort to get in as much time together pre-deployment as the Army will let us.  As a result, I ended up crossing off another item from my 101 in 1001 list, which was to fly first class.  The plane tickets for coach weren't too much less than the tickets for first class when it came time to book my flight (plus coach seating on the flight I needed to take home was sold out), so hubby told me to go ahead and treat myself and I got to fly in first class for the first time ever.  Free checked baggage, spacious seats, a power outlet to charge my phone during the flight while watching a movie on it, continual offerings of snacks and free drinks, plus this yummy meal at lunchtime -- a Philly Cheesesteak with a fresh side salad and blondie.  I think one of my favorite parts of this were the tiny little salt & pepper shakers that came on the tray.  They're just so cute!  The free glasses of wine were also great :)

Day 1 on my trip included a short late-afternoon awards ceremony for the members of the company that had successfully completed training and were graduating.  Afterwards my husband got to change from his ACU's into civies and I got to take him off base for the night for dinner & time together (which included my MIL as well).

With day 2 came graduation day!  The ceremony was short and sweet, and then shortly after I found myself at hubby's barracks, helping him to move all of his duffels/sacks/bags of clothing and gear out of his room and over to the new set of barracks he's staying at temporarily before leaving his current base to head back towards my way on TDY for his deployment prep and briefings.  One of those 40 pound duffel bags actually got to come home with me!  I'm sure I looked quite humorous, or possibly pathetic, toting that thing around the airport with my own luggage.  This day was pretty nice though, as after we finished everything we needed to take care of on base, hubby was released on a pass to stay with me for the rest of my time there.

Part 2 of my trip to come tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment